Sunday, January 25, 2015

How to jump start a car...in Mongolia.

After a long cold day at an ice  party, my teacher was going to give me a ride back to my home, and her car was broken.  I watched from the passenger seat and I tried to document this jump starting with some photos through the small space between the roof and the car...since it was so cold and windy outside, it didn't even occur to me to GET OUT and take photos.  Clearly, I am just a moron... or maybe sometimes when you have actual 'brain freeze' it just takes time to assess your situation.  My apologies for the horrible photos...

So...

When you find yourself in a car that wont start in Mongolia, here is a 'how to' on getting it started again.

Step one: Call a man.

Step 2: Have that man take out a battery from a working automobile.

Step 3:  While holding the battery, turn it upside-down to touch the metal points together.  And try to start the car.

If that doesn't work, continue to...

Step 4: Go put the battery back into the other car, and bring that car closer to yours.

Step 5:  Grab your jumper cables...errr...I mean...Grab a random wire from who knows where, and strip the ends.
see that random white wire?


Step 6:  Find another guy to hold the wires against one car battery while you hold the other ends against your battery...And try to start the car.

If that doesn't work, continue to...

Step 7. Again, take the car battery completely out of the working vehicle

Step 8:  Find 2 wrenches.

Step 9:  While holding the one battery, connect the metal studs of batteries together using the two wrenches...and try to start the car.


You can see so much from this horrible angle.

Step 10:  Put the battery back into the other car...and get on your way with your now fully functioning automobile.

I remember when I was 16 and had to jump start my car for the first time...with actual jumper cables.  I was terrified of getting electrocuted, and also of my car just exploding...So witnessing this account just proves that none of that will probably happen...ever.

Also, a noteworthy observation of this experience was that when they pulled the other car up to connect 'jumper cables' they had to remove the blanket covering the engine of the other car.  Silly me asked why there was a blanket under the hood...to which I got a puzzled look and a straight-forward answer, 'to keep it warm!'

No comments:

Post a Comment