Sunday, January 18, 2015

Like a phoenix

Burning coal produces a lot of dirtiness.  Things just become black and dirty.  I have a special black jacket that I only put on when making fires, or busting up coal, because I know whatever I wear will be filthy after even thinking about coal.

Something else that you have to deal with when fire making is the ash.  You constantly have to empty the ashes out of your stove, which is also quite uncleanly.  The process goes as follows...

Step one: put on the black jacket

Step two: open the stove, and rake all the ashes into the tray

Step three: take the tray out, and walk outside to the trashcans on the other side of the yard, while hoping it isn't windy outside so the ash wont blow all up in your face.

Step four: Hold your breathe as you walk across the yard, because it is always windy.

Step five: Dump the ash.

Overall, pretty simple process.

On one fine Friday evening, I proceeded in my evening fire making routine.  I put on my black jacket, and went outside to dump my ash.  It was windy, so I had ash in my face the whole way, and quickly dumped the ash into the trash barrels upon my arrival.  What I didn't know, was that there were about 5 tiny birds foraging some thrown away noodles from my neighbor in the trash barrel.  So when I mistakenly dumped the ash on top of them, they all flew up creating the most horrid ash cloud all around me, leaving me coughing and covered with grey ash.

They never really tell you, but the whole process of 'a phoenix rising from the ashes' must be a pretty messy process.  Even the birds have to dust themselves off once in a while.



1 comment: