Tuesday, November 26, 2013

the last banxor story.

So, to skip the broader details of a seemingly awful day, which ultimately led to a marathon of sawing and chopping wood- this tale will begin at hour three of some students working hard.  One of the accompanying English teachers that brought students to saw wood had a lesson, and was leaving my hasha to get back to school.  Of course Banxor took this time to bark and pull at his chain, per usual, when someone leaves/enters.  However, this particular time, he broke through the chain.  So if you are wondering what to do when devil dog who wants to eat your face gets loose...

step 1. start swearing as you run as fast as you can.  and by fast, i mean fastest you ever have ran.

 Luckily the teacher was close enough to the gate to get out with all her appendages, and the dog was interested enough in eating her that my students and I could get enough of a head start to the safety of my ger.

Step 2. start calling anyone you can to let them know the dog is loose while others scream from inside the ger to try to alert neighbors.

Luckily, in this situation, the neighbor girl was home next door, and even though we could never reach anyone from school, the teacher that left heard us yelling, and tried to find the dog owner at the school.

Step 3.  sit inside ger with no windows and listen to the wild dog tear up everything in the yard.

step 4.  keep waiting

step 5.  forget about that meeting that you were going to have at 6 o'clock.

step 6. more waiting

By this point in time, we were yelling across the yard to girl who lives in the next ger.  Pretty soon in the middle of the conversation, she starts screaming her head off.

step 7.  Panic

my students went to quickly exit my ger to help the girl, but luckily it was not her who got attacked by Banxor...instead it was her brother who was trying to get him tied back up.  He quickly took refuge in my ger since it was the closest, and came in grabbing his arm.  I told him to take off his jacket...only to reveal his white school shirt to be covered in blood.

Step 8.  try not to cry in front of your students, and grab your med kit.

We were stuck in my ger...not able to leave because of the devil dog outside.  So we were left to my and my students third rate medical knowledge.  His arm would not stop bleeding, and the med kit could only do so much.  Luckily my site mate is a health volunteer and gave me some quick advice over the phone...The dog also bit his ass so the poor kid could not even sit the whole time (hours) we were stuck inside.  I felt pretty awful.

Step 9. wait.

maybe like an hour or longer later, with the students joking that they were going to sleep in my ger, we all heard a large truck pull up, and after a lot of yelling and commotion, someone had apparently caught the dog.  We all started peeking out from my ger ever so carefully, only to see the fire brigade standing on top of their truck on the outside of the fence with some sort of noose over the fence holding the dog.  The police were also there, and other neighbors were standing over their fences holding flashlights to help.  Something was yelled in Mongolian, and all my students took off running, and jumped over the back fence to get away, and the neighbor kid ran to his ger... leaving me alone and confused.

step 10. stand out in the freezing cold to watch.

They had caught the dog right next to the gate, and after a few minutes, when the firefighters knew they had him secure, and were holding him up by his neck in mid air, the hasha mother and my English supervisor ran in...in a very hurried fashion.  My English supervisor came into my ger to check things out, and then quickly went to my neighbors ger.  The girl came over to grab her brother's bloodied jacket, and told me that they were going to kill the dog.

my knees were buckling because it was so cold outside, but for some reason I didn't believe they would actually kill it, and so I watched.  Since the police were there, and because i had heard tales of them shooting dogs in the winter, I figured they would shoot it.  But what i saw was not the case.  They killed it by hitting it over the head with an ax.  I will save you the gorier details.

Step 11. Cry

Given the other events of the day and standing out in the cold and witnessing this, I lost it and started to cry.  Pretty much right after this, my school director and two training managers came into the yard and into my ger.  Since my overall life goal to not cry in front of people was foiled, I was rather embarrassed when they saw me.  We all just stood awkwardly in my ger not saying much, they lit me a fire, and eventually left, probably thinking I was a nutcase.  Given the fact that there was a cat and a puppy running around my ger at the moment and it appeared as if I was crying over a dog, I will give them that.

step 12.  potty break

Unfortunately, all this took place next to the outhouse, and I really had to pee.  So I had to walk past all of that to go to the bathroom.

step 13. wonder what that noise is...

soon after i had returned to my ger from the outhouse, I heard some weird grunting noises from outside.  Soon after that I heard my phone ring...it was my English supervisor telling me not to go outside my ger because the dog really wasn't dead, and was roaming the yard again.  I am just glad that didn't happen when I walked right past it.

step 14. wait some more.

About 2 hours later my supervisor called me again to tell me that the dog was finally dead and I could exit my ger if I should so choose.  I choose to go to bed.  The next morning, I got to see just how dead the dog was, because the dog body was just left laying out by the gate in a pool of frozen blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment